Rape Really Screws Up Truly Living

I was fourteen. I’d never even kissed a boy. I was afraid of not getting home in time for my curfew. So…I got in the car with a guy that was headed back home to the area where I lived and he raped me. The events to follow after that night led me into a life of trying to win the love and trust of my father and finally realizing that would never happen and then ….to just pretending the rape never happened…but it did.

20120612-085921.jpg
The effects of sexual assault are long lasting and ongoing. Many survivors never tell their stories until many years later after the assault. I know this truth firsthand and the effects of living with the shame and insecurity that follow a rape. I walked away and never got any form of counseling which resulted in some of the unhealthy relationships in my past. This Thursday, June 14th 6:30-9pm …I will be one of the many vendors setting up at the historical Taylor-Grady House in Athens, GA. Kathryn Keith Sims has been hard at work getting vendors for this event she’s calling: A Classic City Evening Of Shopping And Giving. A portion of the nights’ proceeds will benefit the Piedmont Rape Crisis Center which uses a holistic model that encourages survivors of sexual assault to find their best path to healing. I’m attaching the event flyer with the details and hope to see many of my friends there. I’ll be on the porch! Come say hello!

20120612-091926.jpg
Bring your friends and your pockets full of money! The items I’ve been seeing that will be in the silent auction are awesome! Also…there will be a cash bar provided by Trumps Catering. Yay!

20120612-092212.jpg
Sexual Assault is a crime…a crime about power and control. Let’s stop it now!
~angie

Advertisements

About angietillman

Free spirited southern gal... owner of a gourmet pickle company in Athens, GA. www.phickles.com Wife and mother of 3... I love writing, cooking, entertaining, traveling, and enlightening books & conversations. Finding my purpose little by little every day... Hoping to leave a legacy of love & grace by a full circle kinda life. "Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." ~Maya Angelou

14 Responses to Rape Really Screws Up Truly Living

1. I am so proud of you for hitting publish. I’m sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I’m not going to be able to come Thursday night now, but I’m going to make a donation in your honor, sweet girl. I love you. xoxo

2. Kathryn Keith Sims says:

WOW Angie. I am sitting in wrapped in tears for the abuse your suffered, my heart hurts for that innocent fourteen year old girl, and I am completely in awe of your strenght and willinginess to share your story and participate in our event.
    You are a survivor girl! And a inspiration to so many others.
    Thank you for sharing a part of yourself so that we might help others through our event and actions Thursday evening.
    I heart you!

3. Lauren B. says:

You are one tough cookie! Thanks for sharing. It is appalling how many women I know personally who have been victims of sexual assault. It’s always comforting to know you are now alone……whatever your situation. xo

4. Lauren B. says:

*not alone. Oh, mornings.

5. monicaali says:

Sorry that you had to go through that horrible experience : (

6. There is something about us women that we tend to hold everything inside…that is until another one of us step us and talk about it. This is not only liberating but is almost like a permission to heal. What are you doing Angie is letting people heal, and move on in live. Thank you for taking the courage to speak up. (((Big hugs my friend))))

7. Bill Florence says:

Wow. Thank you for having the courage and honesty to share your story. My heart goes out to you. So much to overcome, at such an early age…but, your success in your business and in your giving back to the community, through events like this, tells me you have the strength, character, and the perseverance to continue building an incredible life. 🙂

Bill
    @wbf in Twitter
    bill.florence@gmail.com

8. kenziebug1946 says:

Angie I met u at a fall festival i Watkinsville but did not know your story but I admire u strength I was supposed to be at the event w/my daughter but due to med prob we want be able to atten Hope to meet u in future and give u a hug Prayers for continued success to you and yours

9. Angie, thank you for having the courage to share this tremendous pain of your past. Your truth helps all of us move closer to the light, as we acknowledge and accept those parts of ourselves from which we may have hidden. Thank you for the angelic love you share with everyone you touch. I am very grateful to be your friend.

10. Melissa says:

HI, sweet girl. I think you’re fantastic in so many ways. Thank you for sharing *you* with us. You are an inspiration. As always, sending lots of love your way!

11. Mary Noel Jordan says:

Sweet girl I would have given you double hugs Saturday Night when we meet. Love Shayne’s Mama Mary Noel

12. Your story reiterates the Andy Stanley Sermon on Love, Sex and Dating – Sex isn’t just physical – it affects you to the core. Make sure to check out that series Angi!

13. I was so sad after I read this post — I’m sorry you have had to deal with this. Me too, is what I felt desperate to say. So I typed up the most personal thing I’ve ever written. I don’t know if it will help anyone else to read it, but it helped me put sharper focus on why I need to talk about it. Thank you. http://upoffthebathroomfloor.wordpress.com/